Friday, February 22, 2008

E-mail from Evelyn - 6/10/2003

Hi
We went to Sibu yesterday to have my hair cut. It's very short now. Leong went into the salon with me. He told the hairdresser not to cut my hair too shortbut when the hairdresser started to work on my heair, I told Leong to walk around the shopping complex and to come back for me later. I already had in mind how I want my hair to be cut. I know Leong will object if I asked the hairdresser to cut it short and that's why I dont want him to be around when I'm having my hair cut. At first I also had doubts about this hairdresser but it seems he's doing a good job. When Leong came back to the salon,his face didnt show any dissatisfaction of whatsoever when he saw me in short hair styles last time. I started keeping long hair 4 years ago on Leong's instruction. My Mum and one of my brothers had been telling me that I looked better with short hairbut I told them that Leong wanted me to keep long hair.Finally, I cut it off again. So it's back to yesterday's hai style.
We've been celebrating our CNY in Penang since my father-in-law passed away.The first year after his death, we didnt celebrate CNY. The following years until 2003 CNY, weha had been going back to Penang to celebrate. I dont think my mother-in-law wants to follow us back to Penang to celebrate 2004 CNY. If we ask her now, she'll say it's too erly to make plans. So, it's better to ask her againwhen the time is near. She cant be rather difficult to please sometimes. To us CNY does not hold any special meaning and we're not excited or looking forward to the CNY at all. It's very much the same like any other day. I dont like to go visiting from house to house. I find ti all so bothersome and tiring. So, I prefer to stay at home. For the past new years, I didnt go out to visit friends or relatives also. The only housese I went are my immediate family's meaning my broghers' and sisiters' housese and Leong's family. Leong is slso very much a home-body!He doesnt have many friends and I'm about his good friend! Perhaps, now you can understand why we can stay at home most of the time. No doubt we like to go shopping and we like big cities too. There's some truths when you said big citiies people are unfriendly. I think they just want to keep to themselves and mind their own business. I agreed with you that small town people are friendly and close-knitted. Everybody knows everybody, right?
I as working as an Architect firm last time. I dont know much about accounting but according to what you told me, if teh accounts unpaid arefor the current year, then you can write in to the respective department to ask for payment but if the accounts remained unpaid for past years, then it's unlikely you can get thmen to pay you. Remember, all accounts closed every year ends. Who's doing the accounts for the Hotel? Surely he/she will be able to check whether payments had already been received/posted or not. When you said you've received the payment smewhere? Who signed for the vouchiers? You've to be very sure that you didnt receive the cheques/paymenta before you write in again to ask for payment.Some government departments sent you the vouchiers and you've to go to collect the cheques at the treasury Dept. Is there a Treasury Dept here in Saraikei? To check whether you've received that particular payment you can ask the person doing the accounts for the hotel to check against the posting/vouchier from the govt. If they've sentthe vouchier to acknowledge receipt? Surely they could be misplaced? Be very sure of everything before you write a letter asking for payment from the respective department.For govt accounts,they dont entertain back-dated payments. all accountsw must be up-to-dat and the accounts are closed every year ends.
Our monthly phone call bills inclusive of internet chatges are about RM400/=. I call my Mum every week and my sisiter, as when I ffel like it, and my sons daily. that's why the bill runs so high. So, talking is not cheap either.
Think I'll end just here./ Leopng will be home soon.

Bye and regards,
Evelyn
Mon, 6 October 2003 16:53:55
subject: 6 October

Hai,
My mother-in-law is ok then.She went to the market with Sag Gin every morning,started 3 days ago.She goes to Siew Qing's house played mangchong in the afternoon. When she is all right, I feel glad.Otherwise I am very upset by seeing her bitter face all thwe time.Therefore bringing her to see Dr Yap last time. U are such a king and understanding lady. I am happy to have such a relative like u. Hoping that we are friend forever. I learned a lot from u, in fact. Thanks very much, really.
I told Chee that Leong cares ur hair very much. He even brings u to Sibu, I told her. U know what? She said:"Our father never care u this!"U must be very proud to have such a good husband like Leong. I never ever had seen a man like this. For me, I think I am an indepencing person. I aways do the things myself. Sometimes, I really envy u.
Miss Ling is a pretty girl. Though she resigned, I still miss her a lot. Mostly, beautiful girls always do the work carelessly. She lost her handbag once and lost the money as well. She seldom locked the drawer last time. Anyway, she works in other small company till 5:00pm. Everyone talked about her as she always easy-going typed.
For the payment vouchiers by the govt servants, they always sent us the p.v. only. They bank-in the cheques themselves. Sometimes they typed wrongly the names of the bank, or our account nos. Then the bank will return the cheques to the dept. U know well that those govt servants, they are lazy to find the mistakes. I came across many cases like this. If it ahppens in Sarikei, I can help. But if ity happens in some other states, then it will be more difficult to find out. It really takes time . Both Secso and Education are good to send us cheques themselves. Other depts always pay throug Treasury Dept. That is the law!
I help to recheck accounts in Hotel. But Kueh dislikes me to interfere too much on his business. Only then, I hope so much that I can work in other places.Ha, of cos , it will be no more chance lah as I am nearly 50 years old!Time really passes!

XX
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:12:30
subject: 8 October

No comments: